Location of event
High Rocks, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 9JJ [View in google maps]
Type of event
Other
Documents
There are no documents for this event
Sandstone Volunteers Group - annual maintenance - High Rocks

Hi all...

As you will know, the SVG assisted by funding from the BMC and the Climbers' Club Colin Kirkus Guidebook Fund carried out a major renovation project at High Rocks in 2005. It is imperative that we maintain High Rocks in a climbable condition as the Rhodies and Sycamore are coming back fast. We've spent two or three days there over the past 5 years trimming but this time we need to carry out not only a Rhodie cutting session but also to cut back the Sycamore on the lower bank below Krankenkopf Crack, Salad Days, Judy, Adder, Anaconda and down to the fence to make sure the wind corridor we worked so hard to create does not become overgrown.

Consequently, we have planned a day of work at High Rocks on the 20th March 2010. It's a Saturday and we need as many helpers as possible to ensure that the crag is climbable for the summer and, more importantly, remains climbable into the future.

Please come out and help us. We'll meet at the High Rocks entrance at 10:00 - the car park should be available. Should plans change, I will mail out and also put last minute changes up at http://www.adcock.clara.net/SVGupdate.htm and on the BMC forum here on www.ukclimbing.com

The SVG website is at http://www.sandstonevolunteers.nildram.co.uk/

The work is Rhodie cutting from (mainly) the crag top, so loppers/pruners, bowsaw etc. plus a harness if you're working near the crag edge. Gloves, a helmet, old clothes boots etc. as usual. We will also me cutting the sapling sycamore growth below the area from Krankenkopf to Adder and the First Crack - again, bowsaws and loppers/pruners.

A packed lunch and a drink would be useful as we'll probably work through 'till 4 or 5pm.

Please let me know via my profile if you can help as it helps me gauge the response. If you aren't sure, then please just turn up!

Please encourage as many others as you can to come out!

The area above the crag is sensitive as to where we can cut so please have a word with me before you start.

Thanks,
Graham.

Created by Graham Adcock on 06/03/2010 16:13:09