Chris's Profile

Chris Martin

Local activist

Kirkby Malzeard, North Yorkshire 
Group(s): Summit Magazine: Potential Photographers List, Yorkshire Area
Chris Martin

Biography

Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and Fellow of the Explorers Club USA; Alpine Club member and member of Merseyside MC.

I have been a commercial wilderness guide and photographer for most of my adult life, with a resume that extends from leading private and commercial expeditions across the globe to delivering bushveld / survival training to UK armed forces personnel. I achieved much of this whilst at the same time enjoying a successful business career in both the UK and South Africa. My images were used extensively in the early popularisation of trekking adventures in the Nepalese Himalaya and I was one of the first adventure photographers to lead commercial photography tours into the region. I developed an extensive travel and adventure photographic portfolio from leading expeditions into many of the world’s greater ranges and wilderness areas.

I have extensive mountaineering experience gained over many years in the European Alps. In all, I have completed in excess of 100 major climbs in the European Alps. 

My expedition and photographic assignments include:-

· 1989 - Khumbu Himalaya exploration (deputy expedition leader / climbing leader)
· 1990 - The Nile; from Cairo to Khartoum - travel magazine photographic assignment
· 1992 - Pacharmo / Ramdung Rowaling Himalaya expedition (expedition and climbing leader)
· 1993 - Denali (Mount McKinley); Alaska inc. canoe expedition on Alaskan pan-handle.
· 1993 - Mount Kenya and Kilimanjaro;
· 1994 - Caucasus Mountains; Georgia. Mont Blanc “double traverse” from France into Italy.
· 1994 - Tsavo; Masai Mara photo assignment.
· 1994 - Sierra Nevada / ski-tour climbing expedition; Nevada desert climbing photo assignment · 1996 - Mera Peak; Island Peak; Pokalde ; Everest Himalaya (Expedition Leader)
· 1997 - South Africa - Drakensberg Climbing expedition

Between 1998-2008 I have been concentrated my photographic work towards African wildlife and landscapes and in the interim period travelled extensively in South Africa; Swaziland; Lesotho; Botswana; Zambia

I am based in Kirkby Malzeard, near Ripon in North Yorkshire where i live with my wife, 2 kids and my faithful dog Jess!!

Most Recent Blog Posts

Recent Activity

No recent activity